Drier Air On The Way (And a Tropical Peek)

August 12, 2009

The tropics are in a holding pattern right now. Lots of potential out there, but with little actual action at the present time. Our forecast closer to home is a bit calmer over the next few days as drier air moves in from the north. Here’s the forecast.

Wednesday: Partly sunny with a 30% chance for thunderstorms. The high will be in the middle 90s, with wind shifting to the north at 5-10 mph.

Wed. Night: Mostly clear and a little cooler. Lows will be near 70, with light northerly wind around 5 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny and a bit less humid. Highs will be in the middle 90s.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear with lows in the upper 60s to lower 70s.

Friday: Mostly sunny and warm once again. Highs will be in the middle 90s.

Saturday through Tuesday: We’ll be watching a tropical wave that should enter the gulf on Saturday. I’ll put rain chances around 20% Saturday and boost them to the 40-50% range for Sunday and Monday. Tuesday will bring rain chances back to seasonal levels around 30%. Highs will be in the lower to middle 90s.

Tropical Update: Tropical depression #2 is now 535 miles west of the southernmost Cape Verde Islands. It is showing a bit more organization, and could possibly become Ana later today. Elsewhere a tropical wave coming off of Africa is disorganized right now, but could slowly develop over the next several days. Last is the area closest to home about 300 miles east of the Lesser Antilles. That area is showing no signs of organization, but the models fairly consistently bring that tropical wave into the Gulf of Mexico where conditions will be more favorable for development. Any development would be slow to occur, and this thing doesn’t appear to be a major threat. As I said yesterday, the tropics just kind of feel like they are ready to develop. I think we’ll see several named storms over the next few weeks. That doesn’t mean we will see a direct hit, but the chance that someone along the Gulf Coast will, should be at its highest over that time. I’ll be watching as carefully as ever!

Nick

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: