Big Storms Out West

July 30, 2009

Man, there is a lot of rain out west!  I haven’t had as much time to look as usual due to vacation fun, but another round of heavy rain looks likely today.  Enjoy it if you need it, duck if you don’t.

Advertisements

I’m heading to New Orleans, then on a 4 day cruise. It’s our celebration vacation! This will be my last forecast until Monday. Well, maybe I will do one tomorrow? Oh we’ll see. The general idea of the forecast is pretty much the same. I know I won’t be doing a forecast or any updating for that matter Friday through Monday due to the cruise. I’ll keep an eye out for hurricanes while I’m out there.

Forecast………..

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with a 60% chance for thunderstorms. These should be scattered, but fairly strong. Highs will be in the upper 80s to near 90, with southerly wind around 8-16 mph.

Wed. Night: Mostly cloudy with a 30% chance for thunderstorms. Lows will be in the mid to upper 70s.

Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a 60% chance for thunderstorms. I upped rain chances for Thursday due to the moisture sticking around more than originally thought, and a disturbance sneaking in from the northwest. Highs will be near 90.

Friday through Monday: Rain Chances will start in the 50-60% range Fri/Sat, and drop into the 30-40% range Sun/Mon. Plenty of rain still to be had over the next 5 days, but plenty of dry time as well. Highs will be near 90 to start, and in the low to mid 90s by Monday.

It looks like storms from the south will develop further and merge with the storms sliding in from the north. Areas near Shreveport have seen up to 10 inches of rain in the last 24 hours! We’re not looking at that, but some isolated 5 inch totals are totally possible.

Tornado Watch

July 28, 2009

The Storm Prediction Center has issued a tornado watch for Grant, LaSalle, Winn, and Natchitoches parish until 3:00 P.M. There’s plenty of turning in the low levels of the atmosphere, and storms will have the potential to at least briefly rotate today. Alexandria is not officially in the watch, but it’s close enough to where we have to keep an eye on things. Alright, I’ll keep an eye on things. Like I said, I’m off TV, but this is still my bag!

Nick

Had Enough Yet?

July 28, 2009

We continue to make up for lost time in the rain department. Yesterday, a solid .75-2.5″ fell across northern Rapides Parish. I ended up at 2.05″ at my house. I feel like I’m walking on a bowl of corn flakes in my back yard. Quite soggy! There’s more on the way, though a bit of a reprieve is in line.

The Forecast……..

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with off and on rain and thunderstorms. Heavy rain is again likely at times, with a few severe storms possible. Highs will be in the lower to middle 80s, with southwesterly wind around 5-15 mph. Look for widespread 1-2 inch rainfall totals with isolated higher amounts.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance for showers or thunderstorms. Lows will be in the middle 70s, with light southerly wind.

Wednesday: Partly sunny with a 60% chance for mainly afternoon thunderstorms. Highs will be back in the lower 90s.

Wed. Night: Partly cloudy and mostly dry! Lows will be in the lower to middle 70s.

Thursday: Partly sunny with only a 30% chance for afternoon thunderstorms. Highs will be in the mid 90s.

Friday through Monday: Rain chances will again perk up Friday and Saturday. Coverage on the rain will probably get back up to the 60% range on those days. Rain chances fall back to seasonal norms around 30-40% on Sunday and Monday. Highs will be near 90 Friday and Saturday, with mid 90s back on Sunday and Monday.

Side note: Kristen and I are taking the kids on a (my first ever!) cruise, and we’re leaving tomorrow. I’ll post a forecast tomorrow through the time I’ll be gone. Like I said in the beginning, this blog will be very active, but there may be times that I’ll be incapable of updates. I’ve never been on a cruise but I doubt I’ll have much opportunity for weather updates as I bob around the Gulf. I’ll try not to wake up any hurricanes while I’m out there.

The Rain Goes On

July 27, 2009

Steady rain has redeveloped over the area. It looks like this will be an off and on thing tonight with a threat for some heavier stuff early tomorrow. We couldn’t get the rain for so long, now we just can’t turn it off! This puts isolated totals in the last week in northern Rapides Parish up to 5 inches! Basically, I’d say look for another 1/4 – 1/2 inch tonight with another heavy round tomorrow.

1.4″ of rain so far at my house on the southwest side of Alexandria. You know the favored spots on Jackson St. and in low lying neighborhood’s are just inundated. More rain is on the way, though hopefully at a slower pace soon. These storms are slow movers and someone could end up with 3 inches of rain today.

Big Storms Firing Now

July 27, 2009

Thunderstorms are popping all around the area. As of 1:30 the strongest storms are on a Pine Prairie to Oakdale to Oberlin line. These are lifting toward the northeast and numerous other storms are developing. It looks like today’s wet weather is about to start up!

Monday Forecast

July 27, 2009

What a nice morning!  Lily walked into the room at about 6:15, and I was able to get up with her, make her a little breakfast, and just sit back and enjoy her hilarious little self.  Very cool!  The forecast for the week pretty much remains the same.  Lots of rain in the beginning and middle with a little trend downward on precip chances by the end of the week.  The severe threat is here, but it’s low for each of the next three days.  The storm prediction center has us in the 5% risk zone and I see no reason to deviate from that. 

Monday:  Mostly cloudy with an 80% chance for rain and thunderstorms.  This could happen at any point during the day, but the heavy stuff will wait until the afternoon and evening. Highs will be in the middle to upper 80s, with southwesterly wind around 5-10 mph. 

Monday Night:  Mostly cloudy with a 60% chance for thunderstorms.  Again, these could produce some very heavy rain at any time.  Lows will be in the lower to middle 70s, with light southerly wind around 5 mph.  The wind could be stronger near the big storms.

Tuesday:  Periods of rain and thunderstorms will continue.  The chance of rain is again 80%.  Heavy rain is again possible.  You get the drill.  It’s going to rain, and rain plenty.  Highs will struggle to make it into the middle 80s with all the clouds and rain.

Tuesday Night:  Mostly cloudy with a 50% chance for rain and thunderstorms.  Lows will be in the lower to middle 70s.

Wednesday:  Partly cloudy with a 60% chance for rain and thunderstorms.  Highs will be in the upper 80s to lower 90s.

Thursday through Sunday:   Partly sunny skies with a more typical summer time pattern.  Highs will be in the lower to middle 90s and there will be scattered showers and thunderstorms.  We will see more rain during the day and much less at night.  Look for a 30-50% coverage on thunderstorms each day with a few severe storms possible as we near the peak heating of each afternoon.  The severe threat this time of year is typically going to be for gusty wind, and that seems to be the main threat over the next week.  The freezing level in the atmosphere is very high up, so it’s tough for large hail to make it to the ground, and the winds in the low levels are too weak to help in the formation of tornadoes.  However, these storms will be loaded with lightning and heavy rain, so be careful just the same!  Have a great week!

 

Nick

Today’s storm

July 26, 2009

Here is today’s storm as it approached the Landmark subdivision. ((Random extra note alert)) No, I don’t live there, it was the best spot to grab a pic. Anyway, I’m testing things out to see how this looks. The picture isn’t stunning, but it’s what today’s storm looked like as it rolled overhead.

Oh, this put down .30 inches of rain at my house, and .70 inches at the station per Mr. Konvicka.

Note to self after looking at that picture, I really should wipe off the lens before snapping my shot.

Today's Storm

Today's Storm